Thursday, October 2, 2008

Internet Fraud

I didn't really think it could happen....but this week it happened to me. I am a victim of Internet fraud.


Monday: I had a Dr. appointment and went home sick after I was done. When I woke up I went to see if my professor emailed me back. I noticed that I received an email from Pay Pal stating that $100 had been deducted and transferred to another company. I thought at first it was a "spoof" email...but as I was on the phone with Pay Pal...I checked my bank. It was pending as a charge, I knew that I did not make the charge. [I had not been on Paypal since Friday, I opened my Pay Pal at work on Friday, but did not transfer any funds. I ran out of time and thought I would wait until over the weekend.] I was told to call the company, Penny Talk who deducted the money to work it out on my own. Of course they were closed! I called my bank and cancelled my debit card and changed all of my passwords. The bank told me that I had to wait until I posted to my account.


Tuesday: I called Pennytalk they were so helpful {enter sarcasm here}. They told me to call Pay Pal. I called Paypal, they told me to file a dispute (thanks, I could have done that the day before). i filed the dispute and while I was on the phone with PennyTalk I noticed that the charges were suppose to come out every month for $100. I was on the phone for 1 hour with both companies. I called my bank to see if it had posted...it had not.


Wednesday: The debt posted to my checking. I called Paypal and they were still waiting to here from Penny Talk. I had other charges deducted (that I made) and my account was starting to go in the RED, they were tacking on $35 over draft charges. I filed a dispute with Visa with my bank. I was given the advice to contact the local police department. I printed off all documentation and was at the station for an hour.


Thursday: My account is big time messed up!! I was waiting and waiting but I never heard any thing...so I called my bank again and asked for a letter stating what happened. I wanted to have that for my records. I was also told to contact the Attorney General. I have every intention to do that tomorrow. I have to contact the bank and police. I am glad that tomorrow is pay day!


No comments: